DAOR is a new organisation, just having been recently formed in June, 2011. It is a grass roots organisation and purports to be one that is truly representative of deaf people across Gujarat; one that is of the deaf, for the deaf and by the deaf.
“YES. WE CAN”
The aims of the organisation are as follows:
- To promote the rights and quality of life of deaf and hard of hearing individuals
- To foster a united front of deaf people across the different regions of Saurashtra
- To promote equal rights at all levels and in all fields of life.
- To encourage the interaction of deaf people through meetings, sports meetings and rallies.
- Creating public awareness and educating others on the current issues and problems concerning deaf people.
- To ensure the empowerment of deaf people so that they are economically self-sufficient, educationally sound, and have their rightful place in society.
Advocate rights of the deaf in the areas of:
- Access to news and entertainment media
- Representation in advisory boards
- Any other area as needed or desired by deaf and hard of hearing people
- Coordinate activities related to hearing loss
- Monitor implementation of central and state government laws relating to hearing loss
- Provide consultation to government agencies on deafness, needs of deaf and hard of hearing people
- Be a liaison between government agencies and deaf and hard of hearing people
- Operate youth leadership camps
- Collaborate with agencies representing other disabilities for mutual support and exchange of ideas
- Act as an ombudsmen for deaf and hard of hearing individuals
- Represent deaf and hard of hearing people on an international platform
- Disseminate information on deafness to Government and the public
- Publish print (books and magazines) and electronic media (web sites) pertaining to deafness